Saturday 26 February 2022

Late February in My Vege Garden

 

After a fairly hellish month, my vege garden is a jungle.  Two weeks of heavy rain, one tropical cyclone, the unexpected passing of my closest friend, a covid scare with isolation and my garden is a place best described as survival of the fittest.



The pumpkins seem to be making a run for the title of ruler of this jungle.  They are smothering most of the competition, all of the paths and also managing to grow some big fat healthy looking pumpkins.

 



The beans don’t think much of this and are climbing the sunflowers to escape.

 




My single courgette plant seems determined to join the uprising and is trying to reach the ground to either take on the pumpkins or join them.

 



The beetroot is still bravely growing under and over the sneaky tendrils, although a rather large pumpkin has managed to jam their transportation.




 

The first lot of peas I planted along the net on the edge of the tunnel house keep trying and frequently show new growth, but they have gotten fairly dismal on the whole. But the second sowing has taken off to be taller than me and growing masses of fat pods with juicy peas.  It’s unclear what they think of the attempted pumpkin coup, but perhaps they haven’t noticed because they’re somewhat removed from it.



 

Most of the tomatoes, cucumber and chillies just don’t seem to care.  The cherry tomatoes are possibly making a run of their own and aiming to close the borders.



 

The carrots in the water trough were drowned in the rain and have surrendered peacefully. Or so it seems, I don’t know if they’re going to just rot or try for a more hydroponic lifestyle. Who can tell?

 

It seems my garden heard my idea of it being a surprise around every corner and took it to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment