Tuesday 22 March 2022

Zucchini Flour

 There's been a post doing the rounds detailing how to make and use zucchini flour. 

It says that it can be used to replace up to 1/3 of wheat flour in any recipe without any noticeable changes to taste or texture. It also recommends zucchini flour as a gravy thickener. 

It's easy. Cut a zucchini or a marrow is better, into thin strips. Dry it thoroughly, overdry is better than under. Run it through a food processor until finely ground and voila, zucchini flour.

Since I had found two large marrows and already had plenty grated in the freezer, I thought I'd give it a go. There is also the war in Ukraine and the unusual weather here and in Australia affecting crops. Maybe it would be a useful backup to have.



I used a potato peeler to cut my strips and it still took three days to get two whole marrows dried. 

I ran them through the food processor until I had a faintly green tinged dust rising from every little hole and opening in the bowl. 

I poured it through a sieve and the coarse stuff went back into the food processor. It wasn't enough, so I ground it in my mortar and pestle. 

A day of grinding and sieving and grinding some more. Of cleaning the dust from under my fingernails. Of redrying the powder in case it was still a little damp.

I have finished with maybe one cup of zucchini flour. 



I'm not convinced it was worth it. I don't use wheat flour much anyway. 

I tried a recipe for marrow soup today that was delicious. I think it will be a better use for my marrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment