Monday 5 September 2016

Lemon Cordial



I've been given lots (and I mean lots) of lemons.

I'm the person people give their excess to, because I can always find something to do with it.  Sometimes what I do with it isn't particularly successful, but I learn from my mistakes and make something better next time.  I also make a point of giving something I've made with the various excesses back to the people who gave the original source material to me.  If that's not practical, I give them something else instead.


At the moment, it's lemons.

I started with lemon cordial.  It's always useful to have, it's great hot for coughs, colds and flu, and it's refreshing as a cool summer drink.  I've used a recipe that was given to me by a friend, she got it from her grandmother who used to make it every year and swore by it at the first sign of a sniffle.

It was nice, but I didn't find it particularly lemony.  You can kind of taste the lemon in there, but it's mostly a sweet drink.

This year, I decided to increase the lemon content in the recipe - partly for that lemon taste and partly as a way to get through those lemons.  The result was a strong lemon flavour, but it's still a sweet drink.  My family love it.

Lemon Cordial


4 litres hot water
4.5 kg sugar
75g citric acid
30 med-large lemons
1 or 2 oranges (optional)

Squeeze lemons and orange.  Dissolve sugar and citric acid in hot water.  Leave to cool before adding juice (boiling water will kill all vitamins).

Lemon zest may be added for a healthier (and stronger) option.  Add while syrup is quite warm and leave overnight or until cold.  Strain before bottling.

This made about 7 litres of cordial.





No comments:

Post a Comment