Monday 5 September 2016

Lemon Curd

In my last post, I mentioned that I give something I've made back to the person who gave me their excess.  Unfortunately (or fortunately I suppose, depending on how you look at it), giving lemon cordial back to Mum and Dad resulted in another bag of lemons.

I'm all out of bottles for cordials, I still have more than enough cordial in the pantry to last us at least a year.  So this time, I made Lemon Curd.

I've found many recipes for Lemon Curd, although sometimes under the names of Lemon Honey or Lemon Cheese, but they're all very close if not the same recipe.  Even going back to the one I found in my Great-grandmother's recipe book from the early 1920s.

If sealed properly, Lemon Curd will keep for months in the pantry and years in the fridge.  Seriously, I just finished a jar of lemon curd that I made 3 years ago and it was still perfectly fine.

In my experience, this recipe will make approximately 500ml of curd - roughly one jam jar.  Increase it by how many jars of curd you want to make.

Lemon Curd


2 lemons
2 eggs
4 tbsp butter
1 Cup sugar.

Lightly beat the eggs.  Grate the lemon rind and juice the lemons.  Add all ingredients together in the top of a double boiler and cook gently until thick - don't let it boil.  Bottle.

It's really that simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment