Sunday 29 March 2020

Lockdown Days 2, 3 and 4

On Thurdsay and Friday, I woke up earlier than usual and was wide awake. No chance of going back to sleep. I realised I did this during the earthquakes too.

It made me wonder if it's a stress reaction or some kind of evolutionary response to a dangerous situation. There have been memes around suggesting that we're designed in such a way that there will always be someone in the tribe who is awake and able to respond to anything that might threaten the safety and wellbeing of the tribe. I have no way to fact check the meme and a Google search turned up only information on insomnia.

As Friday wore on, I noticed that I was experiencing the vertigo I also suffered from during the earthquakes. I was dizzy while sitting still. I was not going to be doing much that day.

Three different video chats to my family around the country took care of that.

I also discovered that I can't watch the daily updates as they happen. I'm quite okay with getting it in digest form on the evening news.

Saturday and Sunday saw Hubby at home. He got to join in the video chats, and had me call Dad on a video call later on to double check a renovation.

So he was clearly busy renovating all weekend.  There was a set of badly fitting French doors between the lounge and dining room. We almost never used them and they were drafty in Winter.

They are now a solid wall that just requires plaster and paint.

We always write something inside the walls when we change things. We often find things written by previous renovators, even if it's only measurements and calculations, but sometimes it's signed. It's something simple that brings a smile when found.

Today our message was dated with a note about Covid-19 lockdown. Just as we were about to seal it in, we learned about New Zealand's first Covid fatality, so I quickly added a note about that. I don't know what some future renovator will think when or if they find it.


I've been spinning plenty while video chatting. I'm just not made to sit still. This has led to a request from my sister and an offer to put my practice efforts (in most things I make) to use. So between that and plans to make jerseys for everyone this year (whether or not they end up looking like a Molly Weasley special), I think I'll have enough to keep me busy for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment