Friday 22 October 2021

My Sprouting Vege Garden

 I have sprouts!!

Some of the seeds I have sown are turning into plants. The peas I planted first have an almost 100% strike rate. I'm not sure if the gaps are because a seed hasn't germinated or because I missed a spot.


Immediately following the peas, radishes have been popping up with their distinctive heart shaped first leaves.


I spread radishes (as I always do) through the carrots and it thins the carrots without sacrificing anything. The radish seed was at least 20 years out of date, so proof that sometimes it's worth ignoring the best before dates. I think I can see early carrot fronds poking up too, but so far they're too small to be sure.

I'm not keeping up very well with the potatoes. There are so many and they are growing very quickly. I've stopped rescuing the potatoes I dig up, unless they are at least palm sized. I'm not going to need to buy any seed potatoes this year.

I also think I have a couple of beans up. I'm watching to see if more happens. 

I'm maybe halfway through clearing the patch. I think the difference this year is I'm planting as I'm clearing. Normally, we'd clear the whole area before doing anything else and nothing would happen for at least a month. 

It's a battle to not plan everything in advance. I start to worry that I'm going to run out of ideas or repeat myself, but then I get to the next part and I'm inspired again. 

Hubby is laughing that I'm taking anything that's not nailed down. The water trough, the cracked wheelbarrow with a broken wheel, a few pots and there's an old concrete laundry tub sitting in a paddock waiting for me to move it into my garden. I think I'm cleaning up loose bits in useful ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment