Wednesday 6 October 2021

My Surprising Vege Garden

 So I posted about my vege garden, how I want it to be surprising and random and an adventure. 

It would seem that my garden (or the spirit of my garden?) heard and approved. 

An hour after posting last time, I found sprouting potatoes in the garden. 

The year that I left Hubby to it, he planted potatoes down this end. He dug trenches in the stony, sour soil, planted spuds and pretty much ignored them after that. There were minimal efforts made to mound the growing potatoes and when those efforts were made, he just used more of the same soil. The few spuds we got were small and unpleasant and we'd pretty much forgotten about it. 

So I've moved these few into tyres and started building it up with grass clippings, manure and mulch.

Not too long after my pleasant spud surprise I found onions.

I planted them a year or two ago, I really don't remember. They didn't seem to do very well and Hubby kept pulling them out with weeds, so I had assumed they had all gone.

I was wrong. Some are clearly last season's onions, most of the small bulb has rotted down but there's new growth coming from it. Others are new, at least one of last year's must have flowered and dropped seed.

Now I'm carefully inspecting every handful of weeds I pull up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment